The applicant with the lowest number on the waiting list and who fulfills all the conditions for allocation, taking priority criteria into account, cf. Article 4 of the allocation rules, will be offered an apartment.
Waiting list registrations are sorted according to their submission date and become active when confirmation payment has been received. However, there was an initial exception, in that registrations received until and including 31st July 2018, were entered in a pool and applicants ordered by drawing lot.
Below are the general conditions for renting an apartment from Bjarg:
1. You must have been a member of one of the unions or national unions of ASÍ or BSRB for the minimum of 24 months (viewed from the time you are eligible for an apartment) and currently employed. Members who are temporarily not working, for a maximum of 12 months, due to maternity/paternity leave or sickness are also entitled to sign up. Students, working with school, qualifying for apartments in student housing are not entitled to Bjarg apartments.
2. You must fall below certain income and asset limits at the beginning of the rent, as defined in the Act on general apartments Act on public apartments (Lög nr. 52/2016 um almennar íbúðir) and the regulation on general apartments (Reglugerð um almennar íbúðir o.fl. nr. 555/2016). To be able to include a partner in an application the parties must be married or in a registered partnership.
These are the income- and asset limits:
For a single tenant: Max 5.105.000 ISK per year before tax (or 425.417 ISK per month).
For couples: Max 7.148.000 ISK per year before tax (or 595.667 ISK per month).
For every child in the family, 19 or younger the income can be higher by 1.276.000 ISK per year before tax (or 106.333 ISK per month).
The total assets of the tenants shall not be higher than 5.100.000 ISK.
3. The debt burden of the rent should normally not exceed 25% to 30% of the total income, taking housing benefits into account.
4. You must be 18 years of age to be signed up on a waiting list for Bjarg non-profit housing.
5. To be eligible to apply for an apartment, the applicant must have a confirmed listing on Bjarg's waiting list.
By registering to the waiting list, the applicant confirms that he/she is in compliance with all general conditions of Bjarg allocation rules. Bjarg does not check that an applicant actually meets all conditions until an apartment is available and an applicant is eligible according to his/her status on the waiting list.
Note that registration on the waiting list is not an application for an apartment. Bjarg sends information about apartments to everyone on the waiting list when apartments become available.